Historically, Maori have been disadvantaged and over represented in negative statistics for most social areas. The health environment in Tūranganui-a-Kiwa is no different.
Research reveals that many Māori in Tūranganui-a-Kiwa are more likely to suffer than non-Māori from diabetes, heart disease, asthma, smoking, alcohol, drugs, and poor mental health.
The picture of iwi and Māori health in Tūranganui-a-Kiwa poses significant challenges. The task set down for us is to ensure that improvements in the health status of Māori in Tūranganui-a-Kiwa, are achieved.
Turanga Health has the following intentions in addressing the above challenges:
- Achieve enduring relationships in the whare
- Turn on real-time whare wraparounds
- Squeeze the knowledge void
- Reciprocal relationships with the whanau
- Real-time connectivity with General Practice